The Pathway of Thin Spaces
Scripture: Psalm 95: 1-7a
1 O come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! 2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! 3 For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. 4 In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. 5 The sea is his, for he made it, and the dry land, which his hands have formed. 6 O come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker! 7 For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.
Utilizing the passage above, the video, and today’s sermon, consider the following questions:
- Describe a moment of surprise (a thin space) when it seemed that God was present.
- Prevenient Grace is God working in our lives, before we are even able to be aware of it, to bring us to a saving and redeeming relationship with God. What are some ways that you have had a surprising realization of God’s Prevenient Grace at work in your life?
- What coincidences in your life might be more than coincidence?
- Share a time when you found joy through a painting or sculpture.
- What movies, plays, or musicals bring joy when you watch them. Why do you think they bring a sense of joy?
- When have you experienced God in worship? Is there a specific holy day (Easter, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday) that seems to bring more joy than other days?
- Read together Psalm 100. What could you do to clear the pathways for joy to find you more often in worship?