Joining the Church
Christ ordained the church to be filled with His followers who work together to spread the good news of forgiveness and salvation. Joining Vestavia Hills UMC is more than just adding your name to a roll; it is uniting your heart with the church’s mission of Sharing Christ!
Joining is an official way to know that you belong to something bigger than yourself, and to know that you are a part of the family of God: a family who celebrates with you during the good times, lifts you up during the bad times, prays for you through all times, and encourages you in faith. Join VHUMC and find a place for belonging, a group for growing, and an avenue for serving!
What if I have never belonged to a church?
In order to join, first we are baptized. The United Methodist Church recognizes any Christian baptism, at any age. Once baptized, any person may join the United Methodist Church by professing your faith, when you will be asked these questions:
Renunciation of Sin and Profession of Faith
- Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sins? I do.
- Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves? I do.
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve Him as your Lord, in union with the church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races? I do.
- Reception into the United Methodist Church -As a member of Christ’s universal church, will you be loyal to Christ through the United Methodist Church, and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries? I will.
- Reception into the Local Congregation -As a member of this congregation, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your services, and your witness? I will.
Simply notify our church of your decision to join. Here are some different ways:
- Completing a “Join Us” card during worship and taking it to a pastor during the last song.
- Talking with one of the pastors before or after the worship service.
- Contacting Suzanne Scott-Trammell at 769-0136 or email@example.com.
What if I belong to a church in another denomination?
Simply notify the church in one of the ways listed above. We will write your former church to notify them of your transfer of membership. You will not be “re-baptized,” and will be asked, “Will you be supportive of the United Methodist Church by your prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness?”
What about Children?
If your children have not yet been baptized, you may want to speak to one of the ministers about this. Once baptized, the child is placed on our “Preparatory Membership Roll” until he or she wishes to join the church. If you choose to wait for your child to be baptized, he or she will be listed as a “Constituent Member” until they receive the sacrament of baptism. If your child is already a member of another church, we can transfer his or her membership when we write for the parents.
What is Confirmation?
Confirmation is the time when individuals confirm the vows they took or were taken by their parents at the time of their baptism. Confirmation marks the time where a person is actually received as a member of the United Methodist Church. Confirmation class is generally taught once a year in the Fall for sixth graders and in the Spring for youth grades seven through twelve. You may speak to one of the youth directors or a minister about confirmation for your child.