What if I have never belonged to a church?
If you have never been baptized you will join the church through “Profession of Faith.” Before you take the vows of membership, you will be asked the following questions:
- Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of you sin? I do.
- Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever form they present themselves? I do.
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior, put your whole trust in His grace, and promise to serve Him as your Lord, in union with the church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races? I do.
Reception into the United Methodist Church
- As a member of Christ’s universal church, will you be loyal to Christ through the United Methodist Church, and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries? I will.
Reception into the Local Congregation
- As a member of this congregation, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your services, and your witness? I will.